The Hanky Panky Cocktail
1 ½ oz. gin
1 ½ oz. sweet vermouth
2 dashes Fernet Branca
Tools: mixing glass, barspoon, strainer
Garnish: orange twist
Stir ingredients well in a mixing glass with ice and strain into a chilled glass. Twist a small swath of orange peel over the surface of the drink.
Tartine Chocolate Pudding
- Place a fine-mesh sieve over a large heat-proof container.
- In a saucepan, combine the milk and cream; heat to just under a boil.
- Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl, combine the cornstarch and sugar; sift in the cocoa powder; whisk until blended.
- In another bowl, whisk the eggs with the salt until blended, then add to the sugar mixture and whisk until well combined.
- Slowly add half of the hot milk mixture to the egg mixture while whisking constantly.
- Pour the combined egg mixture back into the pan with the rest of the milk mixture; cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until the mixture has visibly thickened and reads 208° on a thermometer, should take about 5-7 minutes, depending on how cold your eggs are.
- Immediately pour the contents of the pan through the sieve.
- Add the chocolate and let the heat of the milk/egg mixture melt it.
- When the chocolate has melted, blend with an immersion blender for a full 5 minutes until no lumps are visible.
- Stop the blender and scrape down the sides of the container with a rubber spatula.
- Immediately portion pudding into individual cups; let cool, and serve at room temperature, topped with whipped cream and shaved chocolate.